The World System in the Bible
By Dennis McCallum and Gary DeLashmutt
This outline is condensed from Watchman Nee, Love Not the World
A. Different meanings for Kosmos:
1. The physical globe of earth.
2. The race of man alienated from God (Heb. 11:38; Jn. 14:17; Jn. 15:18)
3. The underlying qualities which animate the world. - I Cor. 2:12 - the spirit of the world - I Cor. 3:19 - the wisdom of the world - I Cor. 7:31 - the way of the world - Titus 2:12 - the lusts of the world - II Pet. 1:4 - the corruption that is in the world - II Pet. 2:20 -the defilement of the world - I Jn. 2:15 - the things that are in the world
B. The hostility of the world system toward God and Christ.
1. I Cor. 1:21 - the world knew not God
2. Jn. 7:7 - the world's works are evil
3. Jn. 14:17 - the world cannot receive the spirit
4. Jn. 15:18 - the world hated Christ
C. Therefore Christ says:
1. Jn. 18:36 - My kingdom is not of this Kosmos
2. Jn. 16:33 - I have overcome the world
3. Jn. 12:31 Now is the judgement of this Kosmos
4. James 4:4*- Friendship with the world is enmity with God
5. I Jn. 2:15*- If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
6. I Jn. 5:4 - our faith overcomes the world
D. This is because there is a mind behind the system.
1. Jn. 12:31; Jn. 14:30; Jn. 16:11 - the ruler of this world
2. II Cor. 4:4 - the god of this world (the term here is not Kosmos, but ho seon houtos which is a synonym but contmeplates the world system from the aspect of time, or age, rather than space as does Kosmos. See also Rom. 12:2 and #6).
3. Eph. 2:2 - the prince of the power of the air
4. I Cor. 2:8 - the demons are the rulers of this age or this world
5. Eph. 6:12 - the demons are the world rulers (Kosmoskraters) of this darkness
6. I Jn. 5:19*- the whole world lies in the power of the evil one
E. The believer is not to withdraw from the world system.
1. Jn. 17:15, 16
2. I Cor. 5:9,10
3. Phil. 2:15
4. Mt. 5:13-16
5. Jn. 16:33
Back to the Outlines page
Back to Xenos