I am a husband and father of three kids, serving as lead pastor of Xenos Fellowship, which is a house church planting ministry. My wife is Holly, and my kids are Jessica, Joe and Bret. We're all involved in this wonderful Christian community, growing together as God uses us to bless others. Holly serves as Director of Missions Mobilization, and Jess and her husband, Ryan lead a cluster of home churches in the adult ministry. Joe and his wife, Erin, and Bret with his wife, Gloria, lead home churches in the College Ministry and in the high school ministry.
I love hanging around with the hundreds of excited and motivated Christian servants in our group, and sharing the love of God with each other and those outside the church.
I've been here since 1970 when I was a sophomore in college. I had recently come to faith in Christ and left the party lifestyle to follow Him. My brother and I, with some friends, started a Bible study in our rooming house because we couldn't find a place to bring our friends where they would feel comfortable. Our little study has now grown into a church of almost 6,000 people, made up of nearly 300 house churches in central Ohio. Unlike a lot of house church networks, we have an eldership and large, city-wide meetings too.
I'm still here teaching the Bible and training leaders of home groups. Cooking and hunting wild mushrooms are my main hobbies.
I'm also an author, and these are my books. Check out more details below:
- Liberation! Follow the book of Hebrews to a life of radical grace (New Paradigm Publishing, 2016) Evidence is all around us that Hebrews is perhaps the least well understood book in the New Testament. Ironically, a book designed to champion grace has been interpreted as a storehouse of legalism and fear!
- Members of One Another: (New Paradigm Publishing, 2010) How to build a biblical ethos into your church: This text on the church delves into the New Testament picture of the body of Christ and how we can re-discover that ethos today. Get the free study guide to read and discuss with a friend or in a group.
- Satan and his Kingdom (Bethany House, 2009), I'm tired of extremist books on Satan. This one answers some key quesitons with a new take, like "Why did Satan help kill Jesus?" Learn why a peacetime mentality is ruining the quality of church life in America. Check out the study guide for further reflection.
- Organic Discipleship (Touch Publications, 2006), is the supreme explanation for how we do ministry at Xenos. I've been told by many other pastors that there is nothing like it in America. I wonder why not? Or is that even true? You be the judge. Use the study guide to provoke further discussion.
- Discovering God: Exploring the Possibilites of Faith (New Paradigm Publishing, 2011), is a tool used in witnessing. The fourth printing is just hitting the shelves and it's a completely new edition, specially rewritten with postmodern culture in view. Check out the study guide for questions that provoke discussion.
- Walking in Victory: Experiencing the Power of Your Identity in Christ, (NavPress, Xenos) is a study of spiritual growth based on Romans 5-8. Get the free group study guide.
- Spiritual Relationships That Last (New Paradigm Publishing, 2001) is about how to prepare for, and build, a Christ-centered marriage. This books takes an unusual line I think you will find interesting. Also, be sure to get the free study guide.
- The Death of Truth (Bethany) is about how postmodernism is revolutionizing our society and how we, as Christians, should respond. Find questions for reflection and application in the study guide.
Hey! If you send me a comment or question on something I've written, be sure to say which one you're referring to.